Thursday, March 30, 2006

first a bat, now a dog...anyone else?

The following occurred b/w 6:00 and 7:00 pm on Tuesday evening:

Running along my usual route, minding my own business, making pretty good time.

A dog (chow mix) that has never ever never bothered me before (with the exception of barking at me, making a little noise) comes running after me.

Bites me on my leg.

I yell.

He backs off.

I run away.

Fast.

I look at my leg.

I'm bleeding, badly.

Run the rest of the way home.

Drive myself to the EMT station.

Don't need stitches.

File a report with the sherriff because we don't have animal control.

Cry.

Friend comes over, cheers me up.

Try and go to bed, but it hurts.

Cry.

The good news in all of this:
--> I ran a 7 min 39 second mile home
--> Everyone in Oglethorpe County got to see my very hairy legs since I haven't shaved since Hawaii. I've given them something new to talk about, and that is rare in "these parts."
--> I don't think it had rabies.
--> I now know what to do when you get bitten by a dog. Learning new things is good.
--> "Pain heals. [People] dig scars. Glory lasts forever." (Keanu in The Replacements)

I'm feeling much better now, it just threw a wrench in scheduling, sleeping, and my tri training (coming up in May!!!). But, I have survived!!!! Maybe the dog sensed that I was "not one with nature" since my accidental murder of the bat. (Get it M.? Our latest chick flick...)

Love ya- More later - Jess

4 comments:

Jill, Chuck, and Andrew said...

Where is the photo of the scar?

JDRichSLP said...

I'll post it this weekend if you are sure you want a pic :)

Jill, Chuck, and Andrew said...

Love the countdown.

JDRichSLP said...

I'm glad someone appreciates it besides us :) We are so very excited. Robins is MUCH MUCH closer than Osan (as you know, duh, right?).