Sunday, September 14, 2008

hymn

I've joined a local performance choir, and we are singing some wonderful songs, all of which are poetry put to music.
One of the songs that stays with me throughout the week is:

A Hymn to God the Father
~by John Donne~

Wilt Thou forgive that sin where I begun,
Which is my sin, though it were done before?
Wilt Thou forgive that sin through which I run
And still do run, though still I do deplore?
When Thou has done,
Thou hast not done,
For I have more.

Wilt Thou forgive that sin which I have won
Others to sin, and made my sin their door?
Wilt Thou forgive that sin which I did shun
A year or two, but wallowed in a score?
When Thou hast done,
Thou hast not done,
For I have more.

I have a sin of fear that when I've spun
My last thread, I shall perish on the shore;
Swear by Thyself, that at my death Thy Son
Shall shine as He shines now and heretofore;
And, having done that,
Thou hast done,
I fear no more.

No comments: