Monday, July 06, 2009

Problems

“The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem.” ~Theodore Isaac Rubin

So true - seemingly smooth waters make me nervous...I always expect problems, know they are just under the surface, and am never surprised by new events, turmoil, etc. That doesn't make it any less tiring, but it certainly is no longer surprising. And in those times, I go to this verse:

"Consider it pure joy my brothers [and sisters] whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverence. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." ~James 1:2-4

I recently learned something new about this verse. I used to think you were supposed to consider it pure joy because of the problems, and WOW that's hard - how do you even do that?. But I missed a word - it never says "because" - the verse says "whenever" or "when" - When I face trials of many kinds, I'm to consider it pure joy, to count my blessings, during the trial. That I can do, believing that there is a purpose, believing in his promise in Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope a future"

No comments: