Saturday, July 04, 2009

He can't say no

I'm sitting here working at a friend's house. It is nice and quiet. Everyone is outside playing on this beautiful Independence Day. It sounds like their little boy (Drew) is the activity director, and everyone, including my husband, is following directions.

Brent walks in to check on me and to get our dog (Cash) some water. As the door opens, I hear the little boy say something about him coming back out and playing. Brent answers something to the effect of "I'll be right back out. Just don't throw that ball for a few minutes - Cash needs to rest but he can't say no to a ball. He'll chase it no matter how tired he is."

I don't know why, but that one phrase stuck to me. He can't say no if you are throwing a ball or a frisbee. He doesn't know how to say no.

Oh, how I wish I didn't know how to say "no" to God when he keeps throwing things my way - opportunities for witnessing, opportunities for growth, wisdom, etc. But unfortunately, I'm much too good at negating or resisting his will.
"No, I don't want to share your word with that person right now."
"No, I don't want to let someone else into my life - you may have sent them my way, but it is to hard to trust people and let them in"
"No, I don't want..."
"No, I..."

Praying for less no's. Praying that I'll do his will no matter how tired, how weary, how cynical. Praying, however odd it may seem, to be more like Cash in this regard.

No comments: