Friday, March 20, 2009

frailty

The sentence that keeps running through my head right now is "All that is not faith is sin." So, I must be sinning up a storm, because I'm worried. And worry is not faith. Therefore, worry is sin, right?

I'm worried that I won't find that 1 more participant. I'm worried that my experiment isn't going to start or finish in time. I then worry that I won't graduate in August. And then I worry that I'll lose my job at UofSC. And that we'll be homeless and jobless.

Doom. Despair. Worry. Sin.

Yet, even as that sentence of unknown origin plays like a broken record in my head, I realize what a sentence of condemnation it is. Basically it says - you suck for being human, for having moments of frailty. But that is not what God is about - there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ (Romans 8:1). And as a believer, I believe that he understands my concerns, that he is big enough for me to have a little doubt and worry here and there...he is just waiting for me to reach out and take his hand, the one he has been holding out for me the whole time, so he can guide me once again on this particular journey.

No comments: