Wednesday, June 06, 2007

CATCHING UP - E-MAIL FROM END OF SPRING SEMESTER

E-MAIL AFTER END OF SPRING SEMESTER

Hey there
This is Jess checking in. I have finally finished my last class that I ever have to take …I mean it…LAST (unless I choose to audit something for fun, which I probably will, but no more required classes) – WOO-HOO!
I have also finally finished grading my students’ research papers and final exams, and have entered their grades as well, so that big crazy part of my life is over too. I look forward to teaching in the fall, b/c I think I will only have ~30 graduate students, versus the 50-60 undergraduate students I have had for the past 3 years.
So, in an effort to keep you informed on what is going on over here, and to attempt to avoid this feeling of disconnection from the world that I am sinking into, here is the next chapter.
Basically, in addition to my graduate assistantship, I was also hired to do a job by a colleague who was awarded a grant for his dissertation. (Brent and I need the money, that is for sure!) Well, deadlines were pushed up ever so slightly so he could have his dissertation completed in time to graduate in August, so the job that I was hired to do needs to be completed by Monday!!! So, instead of heading directly into comps mode, I am doing non-stop data analysis…except for right this very second of course, because I am writing you while I am taking a headphone break.
Basically, I look at spectrograms and acoustic waveforms all day, and listen to the audio files with headphones, and analyze them…pretty boring stuff. But this is what is happening in my life right now, and is what I mean when having to turn down much preferred social engagements because “I’m doing data analysis”. I have a lot of work to complete before Monday.

So, thank you for your understanding, support, and patience during this crazy time. On Monday, I’ll explain more about my comps experience, as this is the next huge event in my life that will be monopolizing my entire summer.
I hope you are well, and even though I know I’m not the most accessible right now, you remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Love, Jess

No comments: