Saturday, May 02, 2009

Make A Way

I know I'm on a Natalie Grant kick right now, but I just can't help it. This is what I do when I buy a new album - I dive in, immerse myself, soak it up, apply it.

I wasn't very impressed with this song at first. Compared to my faves on the album (Our Hope Endures, I Will Not Be Moved, etc.), it just didn't jump out at me. Until I listened long enough to let her get to the last verse.

I think the verses also made me a bit uncomfortable. It speaks of a woman who is determined to make her own way, no matter what. And things just didn't work out the way she had planned, dreamed. She becomes increasingly discouraged, disillusioned.

I operated according to that mindset for many years. It is still my default if I am not careful. I can do this. I will do this. I will make it happen. I can. I will. I. I.

Where is God's voice in that mindset? Nowhere. No room for him.

Just a taste of the verse for you. I hope you take the time to listen.

"And so she bowed her head to pray
She cried Jesus please make a way
And she heard Him say

I'll make a way
I'll do whatever it takes even though it won't be easy
I have a plan and though you may not understand
Today I'll make a way
Hear Him say today He'll make a way"


No comments: